Touching the Real: Neo’s development from fragmented to “The One” in The Matrix
In their 1999 film, The Matrix, the Wachowskis present a journey narrative which parallels the development of the individual in Lacanian psychoanalytic theory. At the beginning of the film, Neo is defined by everyone around him, and he accepts his identity from the mouths of others. Throughout the course of the film, he undergoes a radical transformation of self-identity, brought on through a series of traumas, eventually coming to believe himself to be “The One,’’ a belief that saves him in the end.
Key Scene:
Lacanian
principles are best exemplified in the film when Neo is first loaded into the
digital “construct” aboard the Nebuchadnezzar. Upon being loaded into it, he
appears exactly as he did when he was in trapped the matrix. Here, we get to
see how Neo views himself. He still sees
himself through the mask of his old self, even though his true body is nothing
like what the matrix had him believe. Morpheus then explains the present situation,
making his point dramatically by manifesting the nightmare landscape of the
Earth in its current state. As he does so, he exclaims “Welcome to the desert
of The Real” (The Matrix, 1999). This is a direct reference to Lacan’s
Real, the concept of truth, separate from how we perceive the world. It is what
exists when our abilities to perceive are stripped away, which is what happens
to Neo following this explanation from Morpheus. Neo touches the Lacanian Real
as he is shown this, as all his constructions of how the world is, the symbols
and images he used to perceive, are ripped away from him. He is no longer a
computer programmer or an underground hacker. He is an infant in a world
completely new to him, and from this broken state he will have to construct a
new self-identity.
While
I have seen this film many times, this viewing finally convinced me that the
film really is the cinematic masterpiece others claim it to be. In the past, I viewed
this film casually and without deep thought. Seeing it through the lens of
Lacan’s psychoanalytic theory has opened up the puzzle box, and I can see a
deeper and more intense meaning in the film than I have before.
What
I see now is a film about becoming and self-fulfillment, a film that
metaphorically treats an important journey of self-discovery in peoples’ lives.
Neo’s transformation from “living two lives” and searching desperately for
meaning shows his initial uncertainty of who he is, but by the end of the film
we see him confidently standing and gazing into the face of the real, having
built a new identity out of the fragmented one presented to him in the matrix. Maybe
it is this desire in myself to reach self-fulfillment, but I find the climactic
scene profound and touching, especially as Neo revives and emerges, victorious over
the agents of the matrix.
Analysis:
Throughout the film, it
is notable that nearly every character tries to define Neo: his corporate boss,
the agents who interrogate him, and even Morpheus (the only character who does
not do this is the oracle; she subtly allows him to define himself). He
receives information about who he is from every other person that tries to
define him, and this has led him to be fragmented in the beginning. Labels and
intentions are tossed at him, and he tries to identify with them, leaving his
sense of self fractured. “Lacan says that we are never going to get a stable
image. We try to interpret our relation to others but there is always the
possibility of misinterpretation” (Sarup, 12). This is Neo’s personal dialectic
of recognition.
Neo’s
transformation from being externally defined to that of his actualized self is
the true message of the film. It provides
us an insight into the accelerated development of the self. Just before Neo is
first removed from the matrix, he is looking into a mirror. The mirror is
fragmented and broken, but it slowly begins to reform as one piece. This is a
symbolic representation of Lacan’s mirror stage, which is defines one as “the
succession of phantasies that extends from a fragmented body image to a form of
it’s totality that I shall call orthopaedic…” (Lacan, 1114). Neo is watching
his symbolic and imaginary reality slip away as he experiences his true self
for the first time, as an infant being born into a new world and fitted with
new structures and rules. He no longer sees himself as a fragmented person with
various identities, but as the one, real person underneath: a fresh, new slate
that has not yet seen the world.
In
“the desert of The Real,” Neo’s new self experiences the loss of the symbolic
and imaginary structures of his pre-supposed reality. Morpheus tells him that
they do not “free minds” at his age, as it has been known to cause major mental
issues. Some do not know where to go after truly seeing “The Real” and collapse
without the structure they previously knew. Neo is thankfully able to encounter
the Real and build for himself a new symbolic structure and life better
oriented to his true situation in the world. The name Neo even means “New,”
which is surely a reference to his many renewing events and rebirths throughout
the film.
The
Matrix, then, is not only a classic sci-fi story appreciated by many, it is
also a deep journey into the Lacan’s development of the self, from realization,
to trauma, to self-actualization, and the acquisition of desires.
Lacan, Jacques. “The Mirror Stage as Formative of the Function of the I as Revealed in Psychoanalytic Experience.” The Norton Anthology of Theory and Criticism, by Vincent Leitch et al., 3rd ed., W.W. Norton & Company, 2018, pp. 1111–1117.
Sarup, Madan. “Lacan and Psychoanalysis.” An Introductory Guide to Post-Structuralism and Postmodernism, by Madan Sarup, Longman, 1993, pp. 5–31.
Wachowski, Lana, and Lilly Wachowski. The Matrix. Warner Bros., 1999.

Your emphasis on how other characters defined Neo cannot be understated. It seems to be both the plot of the film and an excellent connection to Lacan's thoughts on language. In particular, the relationship between how humans describe themselves and what others have previously described them as. You alluded to it but Mr. Smith's calling Neo "Mr. Anderson" is an attempt at making Neo second guess himself as "The One".
ReplyDeleteI found your thoughts on the Mirror Stage intriguing. As Sarup defines the possibility of someone looking into the mirror and not necessarily liking what they see, after having been described by others for so long.
Finally, I found your thoughts on Neo's rebirth and Lacan's 'Negativity' closely related. In that, Lacan suggests "Humans beings are truly free or really human only in and by effective negation..." (pg. 19). Paired with your analysis of Neo's second life, I believe Neo's resurrection was him in his truest self.
Side note, I enjoyed your use of the "construct" scene. I thought it was a clever and fascinating depiction for both your explanation of Neo's early identity and the film as a whole.
You said that Neo sees himself through the mask of his old self even after he is reformed. I like this perspective, I had not thought of it in this way. Even though his entire body is changed, his mind is still the same and that’s why he is stuck. You said that everyone tries to define Neo and I see now that perhaps that is why he is so confused about his identity. He was not given time to figure it out for himself. I think that subjectification from Morpheus and Trinity helped him to find himself but I also slowed down his process of being able to get there. Your quote says “we are never going to get a stable image”. You followed that by writing about the broken mirror. You compared that scene to Lacan’s morrow stage. I had not caught onto that scene in the film. I had not thought of Neo being a slave to himself and that he cannot break free from that until he frees his mind. This is an interesting viewpoint. You have some nice thoughts on this charrette! - NADIA
ReplyDeleteLike both Nadia and Logan, I really appreciate how you compared Neo entering the "real" world as rebirth, where he was able to start out as an infant in the mirror stage. I had many similar points in my review about how well this film emphasized Lacanian Psychoanalysis, however, I had missed the re-birth perspective you discuss here. You did a great job in explaining the re-birth of Neo and constructing his new identity. I had viewed the interconnectedness of the imaginary and the symbolic worlds as the key to crossing the bridge into the real and I saw this connection in your analysis as well.
ReplyDeleteYour commentary on self-discovery and societal definition through the lens of Sarup and Lacan's idea of misinterpretation was a part of psychoanalytic theory that I'm glad you touched on. The stability of internalization is so important and touching on the fact of voluntary versus involuntary desires really makes the reactions of Neo against Cypher so much more clear. Freedom in finally being able to define the registers and one's own desires is a great allegory within the film easily applicable to life. Awesome insight!
ReplyDelete