Introductory Post

     Hi all! This is not my first Charette, but a post to set the tone for the blog. Its also a test run so I can see what the blog looks like with something published on it. I'll write a little bit about my experience with both political theory and film as somewhat of a "get to know me exercise". 

    I have always had an interest in film, curated most likely by my father, who also has a love of the art. Over the years we have watched countless films together, and he's shown me some of his favorites, ranging from more casual viewing like Bohemian Rhapsody, to longer and philosophically in depth films like My Dinner with Andre or Waking Life. He has been a huge part in the development of my perception of film, and my appreciation of it. Along the way I've developed my own favorites as well, my favorite film being the directorial debut of Ari Aster, Hereditary. I have taken one other class regarding film, mainly focusing on the importance of film to American society, in which I wrote a nine-page paper about the importance of Hereditary in the American film industry. I am excited to take this class and to preform my best in here, as the topic is something I am truly passionate about. In fact, I hope to do all six Charette essays, in an attempt to get the most out of this class as possible. 

    As far as political theory goes, I am somewhat new to it. Last semester I took an introductory class for the concept of public administration as well as an international relations class, which both used concepts of political theory. I have not taken the theory class itself yet, but I suspect I will be greatly prepared when I do so. I know we are going to be reading and discussing psychoanalytic theory in this class, and I am interested in the theories of both Freud and Jung. I also have a bit of knowledge about Michel Foucault, since my father, who is an english professor, teaches the chapter on panopticism in his class. I'm excited to delve more into these things and the concepts I haven't been introduced to yet as well.  

We watched Moneyball today and I've already got ideas brewing!



Comments

Popular Posts